Laughing Gull Oyster Party Pack
- Unit price
A guy walks into a bar… or so the saying goes. For Chris and Lauren Carroll, it was an oyster bar in Newport, Rhode Island on New Year’s Eve of 2016 that would become the impetus for Laughing Gull Oyster Farm.
The question often posed to them is, “How and why did you start doing this?”
In short, Chris and Lauren are husband and wife 1st generation oyster farmers in Barnegat Light, NJ, situated where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Barnegat Bay and nestled just under the warming light of the Barnegat Lighthouse.
Their oysters are cultivated to be petite, medium, or large in size and epitomize that perfect “seaside brine with a crisply sweet mineral finish.” That first taste of a Laughing Gull oyster is an indisputable wave of salty brightness that finishes with a note of sweet minerality and speaks directly to the divergent waters in which they are grown. Their oysters are started on a floating long line system and finished in bottom cages.
Growing up in the suburbs of Philly, Chris always had a deep appreciation for and lifelong love of saltwater -- and all things shellfish and fishing -- that was only romanticized by summers spent at the Jersey Shore (Ocean City, NJ specifically) while listening to the sounds of the Laughing Gull. Chris and his wife Lauren, a lifelong Monmouth County, NJ shore girl, found their way to that shared commonality on that fateful NYE night in Newport, RI.
Who knew that the start of that New Year in 2017 would turn into a most meaningful mentorship and friendship with the esteemed Lisa Calvo of Sweet Amalia Oysters (@SweetAmaliaOysters), located in Cape May, NJ, and just a couple of years later they would take their growing farm from the waters of the Delaware Bay to the Barnegat Bay in collaboration with the Barnegat Oyster Collective.
Farmer: Chris + Lauren Carroll, Laughing Gull Oyster Farm
Farm Location: Barnegat Light, NJ
Production Type: Floating long line system and bottom cages
Flavor: Seaside brine with a crisply sweet mineral finish
What comes in the Party Pack:
- 25 freshly harvested Laughing Gull oysters
- 1 fresh lemon
- Shipped in a cooler with ice packs
- a 'Time-Temperature' device that ensures safe and cold transit
Shipping for Oysters & Seafood: Our perishable shipping days are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Please select the date in the cart page you would like your items to be shipped. Estimated 1 day delivery from selected shipping date. We suggest choosing a shipping day 2 days or more prior if a specific delivery date is needed, to account for any shipping errors (oysters can be kept refrigerated for a week prior to consumption). We offer free 1-day UPS Ground Shipping to zip codes within Ground our zone (Tri-State Area), and $35 flat rate shipping to all other locations in the US. For bulk orders: $40 shipping fee added for every 50lbs.
You may use the shipping estimator below to see your rates for this product.
Pickup for Oysters & Seafood: Available Monday-Friday after 12 noon. Orders will be placed under the PICK-UP sign outside at our headquarters (address shown at checkout). All pickup orders receive a $10 gift card via email!
Shipping for Apparel/Accessories:
Shipping rates are dependent on customer location and will be added at checkout. Orders containing oysters and apparel/accessories may be shipped separately and may arrive separately.
How long can my oysters last?
- Most people find it surprising, but oysters have a pretty good shelf life. They’re simple organisms. It doesn’t take much to send them into hibernation mode. Store them in a fridge, cup side down, with a wet paper towel over them. They’ll be safe to eat for at least a week. You’ll know they’re dead if they open up.
Where did my oysters come from?
- Your package should have arrived with some printed literature naming the oyster variety. Explore this map for a general area of where each oyster is grown. You’ll notice the saltier oysters are grown closer to the ocean, while the sweeter ones are grown near rivers and creeks.
How do I know if the oysters are safe to eat?
- Our packaging practices have been verified safe by a third party. We go an extra step to ensure safety. Please refer to the little tab (Time Temperature Indicator) that’s on the inside of your package’s cooler. While most UPS packages arrive on time, sometimes there’s mistakes. If the tab says there was a temperature breach then just shoot us an email and we will find a way to correct it. For risks associated with eating raw oysters, please visit the FDA’s website on Advice about Eating Fish.
Can I buy oysters in person?
- Yes. It’s always best to order ahead or call ahead to ensure we have what you’re looking for. Our # is 609-450-9005 and our address is 483 E Bay Avenue in Barnegat Township.
Is it true that oysters should only be eaten in months that have an “R”?
- This is old news. This saying was coined prior to the luxury of mechanical refrigeration.
Adding product to your cart
Some other things we think you might like